Saturday 18 July 2009

girlfriends

I'm totally late to hearing about this, but Catherine Opie's latest photographic project sounds *amazing*...

Can you tell me a bit about what you’re working on now, I heard recently about a series called “Girlfriends”.
Girlfriends is a fun body of work; it’s a bit of a play on a title of another body of work by the artist Richard Prince who did a series called Girlfriends, but they were all biker chicks, and my girlfriends are all butch dykes. They’re both famous and not famous and include: JD Sampson, KD Lang, Kate from the L-word, I think Sam Ronson is going to pose for me, and then a lot of my friends like Pig Pen and Jenny Shimizu (who we call Chicken). So to take all of these butch dykes and then to title it Girlfriends, raises all of these questions - what is a butch dyke? Is a butch dyke really a girlfriend or a boyfriend? It’s playing with a lot of things and I’m also just enjoying making portraits again.

2 comments:

colly said...

sam ronson??????????? amazing!

Colouring Outside The Lines said...

i know, totally amazing!!